Thursday, July 15, 2010

Crossing the line


Study the photo. I did not expect to find such candor at a County Clerk's Office. This was back in May. Notice what comes after death? Plus, isn't marriage supposed to come before birth? Or am I just old fashioned? When I walked past the sign I really felt like I had CROSSED THAT LINE WHEN I CAME TO IT.

For the first time in my life I was doing it, not saying I would do it should conditions arise that brought about my coming to a line of consequence. Not only that, but holy smokes, it's really more like three lines. I mean, what's left? TAXES, WAR and NASCAR I guess.

Edie and I went here to get our marriage license. After ten years of living together and into the front of our 60's, we are now on a learner's permit until the ceremony.

As it came our turn at the very narrow window in a very yellow wall, Edie approached from beyond the visual field of the employee. I pushed the papers through and the clerk looked up, looked to both sides and asked where my fiancee was. I leaned in to the shiny metal speaker disk and said, "I would like the court to appoint one for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment