Friday, May 1, 2009

Everybody is always on a computer. Get used to it.


Yeah, I drive to work enclosed in a mobilization computer powered by an internal combustion engine.

I decipher traffic lights that are actually the blinking ends of a massive computer network and use the information to follow a protocol by which I expect to avoid physical impact with other such mobile computers.

At a time in my life when I had expected to glide gently into my senior years with a softly vignetting memory, I am instead having to juggle countless passwords, user names and personal identification numbers. Friends expect me to tweet, twitter, google and blog. Keyboards are important: I speak with my fingers most of the day.

Yes, I often send e-mails to the person in the next cubicle. Not even sure anyone's there.

My phone comes with a 108 page user manual. It can send photographs to Kazakhstan and I'm sure it roams around the Internet without me. I turn it off at night because, well, call me old fashioned but I just don't trust it. Some mornings I wake and my phone is powered up and cheerfully reporting on the day's weather. It's creepy.

My point is that the computer is how we roll these days. Don't know when they took over, but it was a quiet and bloodless coup and unless our environmental sins pull the Big Plug on us, computers are inextricably woven into our common existence.

And so I keep my home and office computer running as best I can. Sometimes I think when I perform maintenance on it, I have been subtly maneuvered by my machine to do so. I don't like to go down that dark alley of thought for therein lies madness. I just keep my machines running well and perhaps they will be kind to me when us humans are gathered up and routed to a central processing unit.


No comments:

Post a Comment