Sunday, May 10, 2009

Life and Death Computing



 Truth is simple once arrived at, but the approach to it can be complicated.

1. Life is made up of moments, beats, brushstrokes. It's where we create continuity toward a knowable future.

2. Greater speed and efficiency will lead to a better condition, never a worse one -- assuming a worthwhile purpose.

And so I try to avoid the root evil in life: procrastination.

Two mornings ago I had a great opportunity to dawdle over coffee and succumb to the allure of Too Much Internet Input. But instead I wrapped up the project I was writing, logged off and took off for work, flying down the freeway.

-- Suddenly, a horrible tearing wail of agonized metal --

In my rear view mirror:

-- an SUV sideways with a front end exploding like a shop manual diagram. Sparks shooting out from the undercarriage. Windows bursting into hailstones.

-- a sedan bouncing off the middle guard rail, tire rubber flaying fast off a front wheel rim.

-- a thump on my roof and a cell phone sliding down my windshield and onto the freeway. It must have launched forward when someone hit their brakes.

The vehicles were totaled, the inhabitants rattled and bruised.

You can tell me that not getting distracted on the computer had nothing to do with getting me out of the house faster, ahead of that accident. You can tell me that even suggesting such a thing is ridiculous. I will not argue with you.

You can say, “S#!% Happens” – fine.

And it's silly, I know, but I can't shake the notion that procrastinating puts me into someone else's time continuum facing consequences I would never see coming.




No comments:

Post a Comment